Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Material pleasure!

When I was a kid, I loved " Gold Spot", the orange flavoured soda. In fact, I loved it for the orange taste, and also because I couldn't take in the 'extreme' soda that Campa Cola, Thums Up and Limca had (there were no Pepsi or Coke those days). I just loved Gold Spot.

But as soon as I grew up, that is, developed the sense of twisting our tastes to appear sophisticated, I gave up Gold Spot. Only Children and ladies drank Gold Spot, I observed. And I wanted to be neither a kid (eeeeekssss!!!!) , nor a female (I became female only in 1999).

So I gave up my love. I can't remember when I last tasted it.

Today, in a flimsy moment, I bought "Crush" (a soft drink, orange flavoured) from the nearby grocery store. I just had it.

I loved it.

I had to! It so much resembled my first love!! Gold Spot! The Zing Thing! (what does zing mean, anyway??)

Next, I found this on youtube. It used to come in the 1980s, when I did not ditch it.

Simple material things give us so much pleasure. Rather, gives me so much pleasure. Oh, I'm not apologetic and ashamed of confessing it. When did we start to apologize for being honest?!!

1 comment:

Shilpi said...

Gosh - I know exactly what you mean. I went through that/those identical phase/s...(I can almost conjure up the taste of Goldspot in my 'head' right now with the 'zing' in my eyes) ...and it's funny - I just about watched the ad - and inspite of 'intellectually' knowing that 'nostalgia' is one of the most annoying and irritating of all mirages - I couldn't help but feel that bothersome lump that's gone now. Some things...I don't know if you remember those 'rola-colas' candies that used to come in those rolls...they used to taste like a cola (obviously - hence the name)....and long ago (GOOD GRIEF - it was almost quarter of a century ago! in durgapur)- there were these small packs of mini-mint - I don't even remember what they were called - but we used to get them for 10p and they were the most delightful treats - way, way before we ever had poloand what-have-you....good God! I could keep on rambling here...hoy bhombol - thanks for taking me down memory lane....and put up some new posts, will you!

Protected by:

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Arrivals