Thursday, January 24, 2008

911

Should I feel happy on the fact that the first post of 2008 is headed as 911 (based on the assumption of a better ending with a 911 start) or should I be wary of the signs?

Whatever....should-s and thoughts do not matter much, right? No matter how many times Ishwarchandra Vidyasagar would like to hammer "bhabia korio kaaj, koria bhabio na" in our minds (Think before doing anything and do not think after doing it) Nike's "just do it" is deeply imprinted in our minds. And where the mind is without rest, the situation could get only even worse.

Since the last 2-3 weeks I haven't been doing good physically. I've lost all urges to eat anything, from chocolates to chips to rice and you-name-it (do name edible stuff, though). I've been dropping pounds (which is the only good thing in the whole scenario....but then, probably the pounds come from lean mass.....which is not so good again....), resulting in a perpetual drunk state: I've been feeling dizzy in the head, even when doing simple activities.

Combine that with a night of sleeplessness, and you have a mind without rest and a room full of mess (books, clothes, empty water bottles, papers.....just about everywhere).

With that mind, I was trying to call a friend who lives in U.S. Her number was saved in my cell and I looked at my cell, dialed the number in my landline, and instead of the expected childish voice and bengali words, I hear "911, which city?"

"Helloooo?????" (what......???)

"911, which city are you calling from?"

"Oops!!" (I look at what I've dialed, and disconnect the phone with great panic)

Kintu mama ekbar dhorle ki ar chharey?

They call back and disregarding my explanation of dialing an Indian friend's number while trying to make a call in U.S, they tell me that they are sending the police shortly ("Karma" is instant since John Lennon).
And then, they ask me several questions 4 of which I remember (based on their deep down implications):
1. Do you have any dogs? (how is this relevant?)--"No"
2. Do you have a firearm? (I would like to have one, but I'm too poor and dangerous to have one) --"No"
3. Do you live alone? (How I wish...............) "No, I live with my roomie"
4. Is your roomie there right now? "Yes"

I offer my apologies and say goodbye to the call as well as to my bed. I had to tidy up my room............................not because I was getting a visit from a friend or anybody but because the police was coming. I had heard earlier that they look into closets and under the bed so that there isn't anybody hidden there. The preceding things just made my hidden grief come out with overwhelming level at having to clean up stuff, with that stage of mind and body. I was cursing myself.

And then, while I was running around, I saw my roomie checking herself in the mirror. She was going out.

Apart from tidying up my room, I was trying to think neat then. What if they ask me "where is your roomie now?"

But Canadian police (women, they came) were good. They looked around and then they went away. The good thing was that in 3 minutes my room was tidied up.

Which makes me ask: Why do we need someone to come with a whip and make us do things? No, I do not believe there is a child in every man or woman; those are ego-fulfilling proverbs which are useful to impress dates in coffee shops, making headlines in second grade magazines and in justifying things in orkut posts and scraps. Grown up men and women are too polluted to let the child breathe....

There could not be a 911 for everything, but could there be an intervening one when...


3 comments:

Mycotoxin said...

it took the cops to make you clean your room?
hahahahaha
but seriously, don't they like fine you exorbiantly for misuse of the 911 line?
on the other hand, it's good to know if you can get a speed dial off, they still come and check to make sure you aren't being held hostage and being told to say it was a hoax call. maybe the cell companies should have an emergency SMS sending system where keeping, say, 3 pressed for 5 seconds sends off an SMS to a pre-defined police number with your address.

idle-labour said...

@mycotoxin
Yes, there IS a fine if you call 911 and the reason/excuse appears to be a flimsy one; the alternative is to call the local police (I had to call the police several times in Windsor, based on roomie problems, and I was careful not to dial 911!)

But when one dials 911, like other things in life, there can be no "undo".

They will come and check. I guess they took pity on me and didn't fine me. Also, I cleaned up my room...that was redeeming. :P

Cell phone idea sounds cool!

Hatturi Hanzo said...

chhoRu kothakare. :-D

Protected by:

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Arrivals