Friday, April 10, 2009

It's only words, and words are all I have

Frankly speaking, sometimes I feel it's all words and nothing else. I mean, especially when I'm writing a paper bordering on theoretical insanity (positively interpreted as "abstraction"). And I'm almost tempted to supply a footnote saying "words, words and words and not a meaning to fathom". However, I refrain to do this even with the best and honest intentions based on a stark realization: that I'm no Kalidasa to hurt my own foot with an axe or to put the aforementioned foot in my mouth.

Hence I patiently and painstakingly, repeatedly correct people when the name "Koyel" is interpreted as male as they read my CV (Yes, I plan to graduate someday).

Following which, begin to think amidst one of my many exasperated moments, that if Rachel can be female, why can't Koyel can be female too? Rachel is married, and so am I. But irrespective of their own weight, certain words need to be supported with more words. Some words achieve meaning only in conjunction or conversely, by conspicuous absence of some word, or even worse, by some letters even. To clarify, Kyle and Koyel has only a difference of O-ne letter, and so, to compensate for that difference, I would have to follow up each job application (when they get back to me with a "Mr ....", that is) with "I'm a female" rebuttal.

The power of words is obviously like the movie Roshomon--multi-interpretable. After all, it's how you see it that makes all the darned differences in everything in this world. When I first came to Canada, and was about to get off the plane, I saw a very cute kid. And I was tempted to just pat him in the cheek. Thwarting my attempts, however, one wise Indian gentleman standing beside me, told me not to do it, here and there, as "these things" (again, open to multiple interpretations) could be seen as child abuse!

Ain't no feeling high enough?

So, today I read another piece of such news that had multiple interpretations killing its original intentions. Much alike what happens to me most of the time.

Link and then the excerpt follows:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090408/koddities/oddity_tofu_snafu

News:

"DENVER - One Colorado woman's love for tofu has been judged X-rated by state officials.

Kelly Coffman-Lee wanted to tell the world about her fondness for bean curd by picking certain letters for her SUV's licence plate. Her suggestion for the plate: "ILVTOFU."

But the Division of Motor Vehicles blocked her plan because they thought the combination of letters could be interpreted as profane.

Says Department of Revenue spokesman Mark Couch: "We don't allow 'FU' because some people could read that as street language for sex."

Officials meet periodically to ensure state plates stay free of letters that abbreviate gang slang, drug terms or obscene phrases.

The 38-year-old Coffman-Lee says tofu is a staple of her family's diet because they are vegan and that the DMV misinterpreted her message."

Just one more addendum to saying all about words. You should always read the ones written in fine print. Normally, apart from teaching expensive lessons, they cost you more than money can buy.

Example:



Like everything, what the world learns today, Bengal told it, years back!

Proof of the above is in listening and enjoying the following video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdzp3imZwAg

Protected by:

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Arrivals